UNM Los Alamos

Student Services Information

Student Services Information


The Student Services Office is responsible for the maintenance of the educational records at UNM–Los Alamos. This includes, but is not limited to, student transcripts, academic folders, and faculty grade reports. The following information refers to some of the policies and procedures for educational records. Please note: proper photo identification (driver’s license, Lobo Card, passport or other state issue identification) is required for all in person transactions.

Use of Social Security Numbers

The Social Security Number (SSN) is not used as the primary University identification number. UNM is required to collect SSN in order to provide full access to services such as financial aid, to ensure an accurate academic record, and for record-keeping purposes. The University protects the confidentiality of SSN as required by law.

UNM–Albuquerque Pathfinder

The UNM Pathfinder is the most comprehensive handbook of student services at the University of New Mexico. It is published annually by the Student Activities Center. The UNM Pathfinder gives general information, including office locations and telephone numbers, about academic support and cultural programs, athletics and recreation, student organizations, entertainment, financial services, food, health and medical assistance, housing, the University of New Mexico policies affecting students, commuting and parking and other services and programs. The Pathfinder is available online at


Each UNM–Los Alamos student will be issued an official UNM LOBO Card. The card will contain a non-transferable photograph, the student’s name, and the student’s UNM ID number. At the time of request for a LOBO Card, the student must present proof of identification to include at least one other identification card with picture. Students will be required to present the LOBO Card to Student Services when requesting transcripts or any other services containing personal information, conducting any financial transactions with the Cashier/Bursar, and checking out materials from the UNM–Los Alamos Library. The ID card initially issued to the student will be at no cost to the student. A first replacement will cost the student $15.00, a second or subsequent replacement will cost the student $25.00. Please ask in the Library to obtain a LOBO Card.

Access to and Confidentiality of Student Records

Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) November 19, 1974.

Student Record Policy

1. Introduction
Under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA), students have the right to inspect and review most education records maintained about them by the University of New Mexico and, in many cases, decide if a third person can obtain information from them. Nine categories of information, however, are public (or directory) information unless a student asks that some or all of that information be withheld. It is the policy of the University to comply fully and fairly with the provisions of the Act, Federal Regulations and this policy.

2. Limitations on Access to Student Records 
No one inside or outside the University shall have access to, nor will the contents of students’ education records be disclosed without the written consent of the students except as provided by the Act and Regulations. Exceptions in the Act and Regulations include but are not limited to the following: personnel within the institution determined by the institution to have a legitimate educational interest, officials of other institutions in which students seek to enroll or are enrolled, persons or organizations providing student financial aid, accrediting agencies carrying out their accreditation function, persons in compliance with judicial orders and persons in an emergency when necessary to protect the health or safety of students or other persons.

3. Students’ Right of Access to Review Their Records
A student has the right to inspect and review all education records about him or her except: (1) personal notes (available only to writer or substitute) of University staff and faculty, (2) certain student employment records, (3) counseling records used solely for treatment, (4) certain records of the University Police, (5) parents’ financial records, (6) confidential letters and statements of recommendation placed in the records before January 1, 1975, and (7) confidential letters and statements of recommendation for admission, employment, or honorary recognition placed in the records after January 1, 1975, which students have waived the right to inspect and review.

4. Informing Students of Their Rights
This policy will be published in the UNM Pathfinder or its successor.

5. Location of Student Records
Student records are not maintained in a central location. Instead, these records are maintained by each office with which a student has contact while enrolled at the University. A partial list of places where educational records are maintained by various University offices is listed below.

  • Student Services Office
  • Cashiers and Student Accounting, Bursar
  • Housing Services, Business Services Director

6. Records Excluded from the Definition “Education” or “Student” Records

The following categories of records are not included in the term “education records” or “student records” under the Act:

6.1 Records of instructional, supervisory, administrative and certain educational personnel which are in the sole possession of the maker and are not revealed to any other individual (except a substitute who performs on a temporary basis the duties of the person who made the record).

6.2 Records relating to individuals who are employed by the University which are made and maintained in the normal course of business, relate exclusively to individuals in their capacity as employees and are not available for use for any other purpose. However, it should be noted that records of individuals in attendance at the University who are employed as a result of their status as students are education records and as such may be inspected by the student.

6.3 Records which contain only information about a person after that person is no longer a student at the institution, e.g., information gathered on the accomplishments of alumni.

7. Review Policies and Procedures

Requests to inspect and review records must be made, in writing, to the office that keeps the records. Although it is the University’s policy that requests to inspect records be honored as promptly as possible, the offices have up to 45 days to honor such requests. It is the policy of the University to provide the student upon request with photocopies of her or his records where that will help the student in inspection and review of the records unless: (1) the record to be copied is an examination, in which case permission of the faculty member is necessary, or (2) where a student’s record is being withheld because of an outstanding financial obligation to the University. Fees for photocopies of materials in the records are the same as University offices charge for photocopies of other materials. At its option, an office may furnish copies at no charge, or take the materials to a copy/duplicating center on campus.

8. Release Policies and Procedures, University Employees and Agents

The University will not disclose personally identifiable information from a student’s education record without the student’s written consent, except when it is permitted by the Act and Regulations. As permitted by the Act and Regulations, information will be disclosed without the student’s consent to University officials with a legitimate educational interest. These officials or their agents, and their interests, include:

8.1 Any University employee who needs the information to fulfill job responsibilities.

8.2 University collection agents only for the purposes of collecting debts owed to the University.

8.3 Legal counsel advising or representing the University.

8.4 National Collegiate Athletic Association and the Mountain West Athletic Conference only for the purposes of conforming to eligibility rules for athletic competition. 

8.5 Contractors, such as data processing, only for the purposes of performing work under contract for the University.

8.6 Honorary societies, and other chartered student organizations, only for determining membership eligibility/requirements, when the societies and/or organizations do not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, physical or mental disability, age, sex, sexual preference, ancestry, or medical condition.

8.7 University researchers, including students doing research under supervision of a faculty member, if there are safeguards to protect the security of personally identifiable data and if it will not be possible to ascertain the identity of any student in any dissemination of the data or research results.

8.8 Officials of cooperating universities in which the student is enrolled.

9. Release to Alleged Victims of Crimes of Violence

The results of any disciplinary proceeding conducted by the University in response to allegations of a crime of violence allegedly committed by a student, shall be disclosed upon request to the alleged victim(s) of such crime of violence.

10. Directory or Public Information Categories

The University, in accord with the Act, has designated categories of information about students as “directory information” which is public unless a student asks to have all of it withheld. These categories are:

  • Name
  • Address (school and permanent)
  • Telephone listing
  • Electronic Mail Address
  • Date of birth
  • Major field of study (including current classification, year, credit load and number of academic credits earned toward degree)
  • Dates of attendance (matriculation and withdrawal dates)
  • Degrees and awards received (type of degree and date granted)
  • Most recent previous educational agency or institution attended. 
  • Participation in officially recognized activities and sports, and weight and height of members of athletic teams. 
  • A student wishing to keep confidential the “directory information” listed above must file a written request with the Office of the Registrar. This request may be submitted in person, by mail, or by fax. Once a confidential privacy flag has been place on a student’s record the directory/public information will not be released to individuals, companies or third party entities outside the University of New Mexico. The confidential privacy flag will not automatically be removed upon graduation from The University of New Mexico. If you have requested a confidential privacy flag, your name will not appear in the University of New Mexico Commencement Program. The removal of the confidential privacy flag may be requested in person or online at registrar.unm.edu.

11. Requests for Disclosure

University offices will maintain a record of disclosures and requests for disclosure of personally identifiable information from a student’s record except when the request for disclosure is directory information, pursuant to the student’s consent, or is to a school official described in this policy. It is the policy of the University to permit the student to inspect this record of disclosures and requests for disclosure pertaining to his or her records. All disclosures (except for disclosures to the student or disclosures of directory information) shall be made on the condition that the information shall not be further disclosed without the student’s consent.

12. Right to Challenge Information in Student Records

It is the policy of the University that a student may challenge any information in his or her education records which he or she believes to be inaccurate, misleading or in violation of privacy. This right does not extend to reviewing grades unless the grade assigned by a professor was inaccurately recorded in the records. A student may also insert a statement in the records explaining any such material from his or her point of view. If a student wishes to challenge information in the file, he or she must make a written request for a hearing to the dean, director, or chairperson of the office which maintains the record. In most cases, the decision of the dean, director or chairperson will be final. However, a student may appeal in writing to the Associate Provost or the Vice President for Health Sciences or their designee, as the case may be, who will review the decision only if a significant question of policy or compliance with the law appears to be raised by the case.

13. Waiver of Rights Not Required

It is the policy of the University that students not be required to waive their rights under the Act before receiving University services or benefits.

14. Assistance with Problems or Questions about Compliance

a. If a student has questions about the provisions of the Act, he or she may contact the Office of the Registrar

b. If a student believes that the University has not complied with the Act, he or she should direct comments concerning this to the Office of the Registrar

c. If a student believes that the University has not complied with the Act, written complaints may be filed with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act Office (FERPA), U.S. Department of Education, 400 Maryland Avenue, SW., Washington, D.C. 20202-4605, telephone (202) 732-1807.

d. The Registrar shall either resolve the issue, or shall refer it to the appropriate University body for resolution.

e. Copies of and information about the Rights and Privacy Act are available in the Records and Registration Office, Student Support and Services Center.

Change of Name

Students who need to process a change of name for their academic records must bring appropriate documentation to the Student Services Office. The appropriate documentation includes proper photo identification (valid driver’s license, passport or other state issue identification) and the social security card showing the new name. No other type of documentation will be accepted.

Change of Address/Phone

Current students who need to process a change of address or phone number for their academic records may do so using LoboWeb, Personal Information-Update My Information.


The Records and Registration Office of UNM–LA issues unofficial and advisement copies of The University of New Mexico student records. Transcript information and request forms are available online at http://registrar.unm.edu. Students may also request a transcript of their academic record in Building 1, by mail, or by Fax. The address is Registrar, UNM–Los Alamos Student Services, 4000 University Drive, Los Alamos, NM 87544. The fax number is (505) 661-4698. The following information is needed in order to process a request by mail or fax: student name (all names used while at the University of New Mexico), social security number or UNM ID number, date of birth and dates of attendance. The student’s signature is required to authorize the release of any transcript. Proper photo identification (driver’s license, Lobo Card, passport or other state issue identification) is required to obtain a transcript in person. 

Transcripts from other institutions that are sent to the University of New Mexico for purposes of admission are not copied or returned to the student.

E-mail requests cannot be honored. Another person may not request, or pick-up a student’s transcripts without specific written authorization from that student. The University of New Mexico does not provide copies of test scores or transcripts of academic work from other institutions. The original institution must be contacted for such information.

Transcript Holds

Transcripts may be held for financial and nonfinancial reasons. No official transcripts will be released until the student’s outstanding obligations to the University have been paid or until satisfactory arrangements have been made.

Grade Notification

Semester grades are available on LoboWeb. If a hard copy is required, it can be obtained from Student Services, Building 1.


Summary of Regulations for New Mexico Residency for Tuition Purposes

A student who enters and remains in this state principally to obtain an education is presumed to continue to reside outside this state and such presumption continues in effect until rebutted by clear and convincing evidence of bona fide residence. A student determined to be financially dependent on an out-of-state parent or guardian also assumes the residency of that parent or guardian. The “burden of proof” is on the student. The student must secure and file the petition with the appropriate documents of evidence in the manner described herein. All documents submitted for this purpose will be kept confidential. Residency petitions will be accepted until the second Friday of each Fall and Spring semester in the Office of the Registrar in the Student Services office located in Building 1. 

To become a legal resident of New Mexico, four basic requirements must be completed by the student. Each person must meet the requirements individually.

The 12-Month Consecutive Presence Requirement

A student must physically reside in the state for 12 consecutive months immediately preceding the term for which the student submits a petition.

The Financial Independence Requirement

A student cannot be approved for residency who is financially dependent upon his or her parents or legal guardian who are non-residents of New Mexico. At the time the student applies for residency (if under 23 years of age), a copy of his or her parents’ or guardians’ 1040 or 1040A U.S. income tax form for the previous year must be submitted with the application. If the student is shown to be a dependent on this tax form, he or she will not be eligible to establish residency apart from his or her parents or guardian.

The Written Declaration of Intent Requirement

The student must sign a written declaration of intent to relinquish residency in another state and to establish it in New Mexico.

The Overt Acts Requirement

New Mexico requires the completion of several “overt” acts which support the student’s declaration of intent to become a permanent resident. The required overt acts are evidence of any two of the following:

1. If the applicant is financially dependent, a copy of the parents’ or guardians’ previous year income tax form showing the applicant as a dependent and the parents’ address as New Mexico;

2. A New Mexico high school transcript issued in the past year confirming attendance at a New Mexico public or private high school within the past 12 months;

3. A transcript from an online high school showing a New Mexico address confirming attendance within the past 12 months;

4. A New Mexico driver’s license or ID card with an original date of issue or a renewal date issued prior to the first day of the term or semester;

5. Proof of payment of New Mexico state income tax for the previous year;

6. Evidence of employment within the state of New Mexico;

7. New Mexico vehicle registration;

8. Voter registration in New Mexico;

9. Proof of residential property ownership in New Mexico;

10. A rental agreement within New Mexico;

11. Utility bills showing the applicant name and a 

12. New Mexico address;

13. Other evidence which would reasonably support the individual’s intent to establish and maintain New Mexico residency.

Any act considered inconsistent with being a New Mexico resident will cause the request for resident classification to be denied. As such, other relevant factors may be considered in addition to the items listed above.


1. Any act considered inconsistent with being a new Mexico resident—such as voting, securing and/ or maintaining a driver’s license and automobile registration in another state, etc.—will cause the petition to be denied.

2. The spouse and dependent children of a person who has moved to New Mexico and has obtained permanent full time employment (sufficient documentation is required) shall not be required to complete the 12-month durational requirement. However, all other requirements must be satisfied.

3. Active duty military members stationed in New Mexico, their spouses and dependents are eligible for waivers of non-resident tuition. Members of the National Guard, their spouses and dependents are also eligible for waivers of non-resident tuition. A form must be submitted to Student Services by the second Friday of the term to obtain these waivers. 

A brochure explaining all requirements for establishing New Mexico residency and residency petitions are available from the Office of the Registrar, Student Services Office, Building 1. For more information, please call (505) 662-0332.

Academic Advisement

Each semester Advisement holds are placed on the accounts of all students in degree and certificate programs. During the semester advisement meetings, advisors lift the holds and students are then able to register for classes. Students are strongly encouraged to meet with an advisor early and before registration opens for the next term.  The purpose of the meeting is to review program requirements, course scheduling, and to make sure that the student is on the best track to graduation or transfer.  In addition, the advisor can provide support and resources in order to help the student be successful. Students can schedule an advising appointment online through LoboAchieve, by contacting Student Services in Building 1 or calling (505) 662-0332.

New Student Orientation

New Student Orientation is an exciting event that facilitates students’ successful transition to the UNM-Los Alamos campus. The mandatory orientation includes a campus tour, introductions to faculty, staff, and other new students, information about academic advisement, registration, policies and procedures, and strategies for college success. Student Services, located in Building 1, (505) 662-0332, holds New Student Orientation prior to each Fall and Spring Semester. 

Schedule of Classes

The Schedule of Classes is an official publication of the University, distributed each semester without charge. The publication includes course offerings, dates, times, places and procedures for registration and other important information. The schedule can also be accessed at http://losalamos.unm.edu 

Registration Procedures

The registration process is outlined online on the UNM-Los Alamos website.  Click on the “Registration” link under the “Students” menu.  Links are also available with information about registration errors and registration forms.

Payment of Tuition and Fees

Payment of tuition and fees is required to complete registration. For specific information regarding tuition, fees, payment and payment deadline dates, refer to the Financial Information section of the current Schedule of Classes or under the student tab at http://losalamos.unm.edu.

Enrollment Limit

Students may not take more than 18 hours during a semester and 9 hours during the summer session, except with approval from an academic advisor. Students in non-degree status who have not earned at least a baccalaureate-level degree must obtain permission from their academic advisor.

Enrollment Certification

Enrollment Certifications are requested by individuals, institutions or organizations for information related to a student’s past or current enrollment. Information requested normally takes the form of validation of confirmed degrees, dates of attendance or whether a student is full- or part-time.

The National Clearinghouse is now the University of New Mexico’s authorized agent for providing enrollment and degree verifications. If an employer or background screening firm requests this information, please have them contact the National Student Clearinghouse at (703) 742-4200 or visit their website www.studentclearinghouse.org

Verification forms from financial lenders should be sent directly to the National Student Clearinghouse for fastest response.

The University of New Mexico will produce an Enrollment Certificate validating a student’s status for the current semester, or a pre-registered (one week prior to start of classes) semester. If a student wishes to have their entire academic history certified or semesters not covered by the certification process, the student must request a transcript. The University of New Mexico does not certify expected graduation date.

The certification document can be mailed on request or may be picked up with proper photo identification (driver’s license, LoboCard, passport or other state issue identification). The Enrollment Certificate will replace the institutionally specific forms. The Course Load Guidelines above are used to determine enrollment status for financial aid eligibility and loan deferments. Graduate students with an assistantship must submit a copy of their contract with their verification request.

Current students may also request an enrollment certificate directly through LoboWeb.

The guidelines listed below are used primarily to determine enrollment status for financial aid eligibility and loan deferments. Graduate students with an assistantship must submit a copy of their contract with their verification request. Courses taken in Audit, Extension or Correspondence status are not included in total course load, for purposes of enrollment verification.

Course Load Guidelines


Fall/Spring Semesters

Full-time: 12 or more credit hours.

Half-time: 6–11 credit hours.

Less than half-time: 5 or fewer credit hours.

Summer Session

Full-time: 6 or more credit hours.

Half-time: 3–5 credit hours.

Less than half-time: 1 or 2 credit hours.

Changes in Enrollment

Once registered, students may process schedule changes through the drop/add procedures during appropriate periods. Procedures for schedule changes and deadlines are published in the Schedule of Classes.

Summer Session and Short Courses

Deadlines for processing drops, adds, withdrawals, and grade options for summer and short courses vary according to the length of the course. Consult the Schedule of Classes for specific dates.

For 16-week courses, the following applies

Add. Students may add courses or change sections through the second week of the semester.

Drop. A student may drop a course or courses without a grade during the first three weeks of the semester.

Withdrawal from a Course

After the third week a student may withdraw from a course until the end of the 12th week of the semester and is subject to a grade of W. After the 12th week, course withdrawals are only accepted with approval from the dean or director of the student’s college. No withdrawals are accepted after the last day of instruction of the semester, prior to final exam week.

NOTE: Faculty are not responsible for dropping students who do not attend. It is the student’s responsibility to check the accuracy of their course schedule. As a consequence, you may earn a failing in a grade in a class you stop attending but did not officially drop.

1. Change in Grading Option. Changes in grading option (including audit, pass-fail option, letter grade or graduate credit option) in any course may be made through the fourth week of the semester. It is the student’s responsibility to make certain that they are registered in any course for the proper grading option.

2. Completion of Courses. Students are responsible for completion of all courses in which they are enrolled at the University. Changes in enrollment, drops or withdrawals must be officially processed. A student not following proper course or University withdrawal procedures may be given a failing grade and will be responsible for tuition changes associated with the course.

Withdrawal from the University

  • Students can withdraw from all courses through the end of the 12th week if no holds exist on their account by using LoboWeb. At the beginning of the thirteenth week, a student who is withdrawing from all courses must have approval from Student Services. Students may contact the Student Services Office, (505) 662-0332, for advisement on withdrawal from all courses.
  • Students who withdraw during the first three weeks (regular full semester) of classes do not receive a grade notation on their academic records. The notation on a student’s record is “Withdrew” followed by the date.
  • University withdrawals initiated after the third-week (regular full semester) of classes are subject to a grade of W. All withdrawal grades are assigned by the instructor during the regular grading period. The notation on a student’s record is “Withdrew” followed by the date, along with the course name and grade assigned.
  • Summer Session and Short Courses. Deadlines for processing withdrawals for summer and short courses vary according to the length of the course. Consult the academic calendar for specific dates.
  • Students leaving the University during a semester without withdrawing according to this regulation are subject to faculty assigned grades.
  • Students are responsible for all outstanding financial obligations when withdrawing. See the “Tuition Refund Deadlines” section for more information.

Policy on Military Withdrawals

Under faculty regulations, students who formally withdraw from the University before the end of the 12th week of the semester due to military obligations are entitled to a grade of W in each course in which they are enrolled. Military orders or evidence of enlistment must be made available to the UNM-Los Alamos Registrar. A student who withdraws due to military obligations after completing 12 weeks of instruction receives full credit for each enrolled course provided the instructor certifies a grade of C or better for the course at the date of formal withdrawal. If the instructor certifies a grade of less than C, the student receives a grade of W. The student must opt for either a tuition refund or for a grade assignment after the 12th week. A final semester senior who has satisfactorily completed at least half of the work for enrolled courses, provided these would complete degree requirements, may be certified for graduation by the faculty of their college. Visit http://dos.unm.edu for a “Request For Military Withdrawal” Form in order to initiate the Military Withdrawal process.

Student Attendance/Class Absences

Students must attend all class meetings for the courses in which they are enrolled. If a student is ill, or scheduled to miss class due to an authorized University activity such as a field trip, athletic trip etc., the student must contact his/her instructor(s) prior to class. If a student is unable to contact his/her instructor(s), the student should leave a message with the Office of Instruction. Even though a student has reported the absence he/she is still responsible for all missed work. The student must take the initiative to arrange with the instructor(s) to make up all missed work, and it is expected the faculty member(s) will make reasonable arrangements with the student. Verification (such as doctor’s note, hospital billing, military orders, death notices, etc.) of a student’s absence should be provided as requested. The Office of Instruction is located in Building 6, 505-661-4693.

The UNM–Albuquerque Directory

A directory listing departments, faculty and staff members, as well as each student’s local and home address, telephone number, academic classification and University of New Mexico e-mail address, is published by Computer and Information Resources and Technology (CIRT). Students can request that their listing be deleted from the directory by completing a form at the Student Services Office in Building 1. 

Other Publications

Other publications include the UNM–LA Schedule of Classes, published two times per year, which contains class schedules and up-to-date information on a variety of topics.

UNM–LA Website at http://losalamos.unm.edu

The campus website contains the most current information about UNM–LA, including updated class schedules, the UNM–Los Alamos Catalog and information about campus events and other news.

Emergency Message Service

The Emergency Message Service is provided to reach students on campus. When an emergency arises, call (505) 662-0332. The staff will then access the student’s schedule from the database file and determine if it is possible to reach the student in class. A staff member then takes a message directly to the student’s classroom.