UNM Los Alamos




The University of New Mexico-Los Alamos admits all eligible applicants from New Mexico, other states and foreign countries. Because of the great diversity of the University’s students, special application and admission procedures have been created to meet the needs of the different populations. UNM–Los Alamos serves high school students, recent high school graduates, transfer students, non-degree students, returning and nontraditional students. Admission procedures and requirements vary in each of the categories listed below. Beginning Freshmen (no previous college work)1. Beginning Freshman (no previous college work)

Beginning Freshman (no previous college work)
Transfer (last attended another institution)
Readmitted (stopped attending for three or more terms)
Dual Credit (high school)
Concurrent Enrollment (high school)
Non –Degree (presently not seeking a degree)
International Students

For all categories, the University requires full academic disclosure on the application forms. Any student found guilty of non-disclosure or misrepresentation on an application is subject to disciplinary action, including possible dismissal from the University. Transcripts and test scores submitted to UNM–Los Alamos for admission become the property of the University and will not be sent elsewhere or returned to the student.

When to Apply

We strongly encourage students to apply as early as possible. Applications and fees are applicable for three consecutive sessions only. If you do not take advantage of admission and enroll within that period, a new application is required.

Use of Social Security Numbers

Your social security number is collected in the initial admission process only. It will not be the primary University identification number. It will not appear on your student identification card. UNM is required to collect your SSN in order to provide full access to services such as financial aid, to ensure an accurate academic record, and for record-keeping purposes. The University will protect the confidentiality of your SSN as required by law.

Admissions—Beginning Freshman (no previous college)

A student may enroll in one of several associate degree programs offered by UNM–Los Alamos. The admission requirement for admission into an Associate Degree is a high school diploma or equivalent. A passing score on the General Education Development (GED) or HiSET exam is accepted in lieu of a high school diploma. Special application and admissions procedures are in place to meet the varying needs of individuals seeking to enroll in educational programs at the institution. The UNM–Los Alamos campus has an open admission policy. Admission is available to all students.

How to Apply

  1. Applications may be submitted online or printed in hard copy at http://losalamos.unm.edu. A $10.00 non-refundable application fee is also required at the time that you submit your application and may be paid online or in person with the cashier.
  2. Request that your high school or GED testing site send an official transcript directly to the Student Services Office.
  3. Request that each college you have attended send an official transcript directly to the Student Services Office.

When to Apply

We strongly encourage students to apply as early as possible. Applications and fees are applicable for three consecutive sessions only. If you do not take advantage of admission and enroll within that period, a new application is required.

Admissions - Transferring Students

How to Apply

  1. Complete and return an application for admission and a $10.00 nonrefundable application fee to the Student Services Office. You may also apply online at http://losalamos.unm.edu.
  2. Request that each college you have attended send an official transcript directly to the Student Services Office. A summary on one transcript of work at several colleges is not sufficient. If you are applying for the next academic session at UNM–Los Alamos while still enrolled at another institution, the official transcript must include a listing of courses in progress, as well as all completed work. (See note below.)
  3. If you are transferring to UNM–Los Alamos with fewer than 26 semester hours of accepted college work, you are considered a freshmen transfer and must submit a complete official transcript of high school work or official GED scores.

Applications will not be processed until all the required items are on file with the Student Services Office.

To allow students at other institutions to make definite plans for transfer, a determination of admission status may be made before courses in progress are completed, subject only to receipt of the final transcript. Students permitted to register prior to receipt of their final transcripts may be disenrolled if their transcripts do not reach the Student Services Office within three weeks after the beginning of classes.

NOTE: The student must indicate on the application all previous college attendance. Applicants may not ignore any college attendance, even though they did not successfully complete coursework or may prefer to repeat all courses. Students found guilty of nondisclosure or misrepresentation in filling out admission application forms, or who find after admission or enrollment that for academic or other reasons they are ineligible to return to their last institution but fail to report this immediately to the Student Services Office, are subject to disciplinary action, including possible dismissal from the University.

Previous Suspension

A student under academic suspension from another college or university may not enter UNM–Los Alamos during the term of suspension. In cases of unspecified suspension periods, the University’s suspension term will apply. Upon termination of the suspension, the student is eligible to request special consideration for admission to UNM–Los Alamos. In general, students under disciplinary suspension are not admitted to UNM–Los Alamos. However, because the reasons for disciplinary suspension vary among institutions, a student may be suspended from one school for infractions that would not be actionable at another. Therefore, UNM–Los Alamos reviews such cases individually and, when justified, makes exceptions and allows the student to be considered for admission.

Transfer of Credits

UNM–Los Alamos evaluates without prejudice courses from postsecondary institutions that are regionally accredited or are candidates for regional accreditation. Transfer students will receive full credit for course work completed with a minimum grade of “C,” provided the classes are similar or equivalent to courses offered at the University. Transferable courses with grades of “D” from New Mexico state institutions are accepted in transfer but may not be counted toward degree completion.

UNM–Los Alamos operates on a semester credit calendar. Therefore, classes from quarter system institutions will be recalculated to semester hours (one quarter hour equals .66 semester hours.)

UNM–Los Alamos does not accept personal development or dogmatic religion courses. Credit is not awarded for work or life experience, cooperative education or for courses from out-of-state in which the grade received was lower than “C.” Grades earned in courses taken at other institutions are not included in calculation of the UNM grade point average. This grade point average will reflect only classes taken at UNM.

Transfer among New Mexico Higher Education Institutions

To facilitate transfer of students and course credits among New Mexico’s colleges and universities, the state’s public institutions of higher education are required to accept transfer courses taken within approved modules of lower division course work and apply them toward degree requirements. Several transfer guides have been developed through collaboration of New Mexico’s public postsecondary institutions, consistent with requirements of state law (21-1B, NMSA 1978). Students enrolling for first-year or second-year study at a New Mexico institution and wishing to prepare for possible transfer into a degree program at another institution are advised to take these courses during their freshman and sophomore years.

In addition, as a branch of UNM, UNM-LA offerings of 100- and 200-level courses from the UNM catalog are automatically transferable to UNM-Albuquerque, if you score a C or better. You will need to see an advisor to see which credits transfer to a program of a particular college. Planning ahead means that you choose the correct option for the college (such as Engineering) you intend to transfer to later.

Student Responsibility

New Mexico’s colleges and universities have collaborated to produce guides to assist students who plan to transfer before completing a program of study. Course modules are designed to help students select courses carefully so that they may transfer with little or no loss of credit. However, planning for effective transfer with maximum efficiency is ultimately the student’s responsibility. Responsible transfer planning includes early and regular consultation with the intended degree-granting institution to assure that all pre-transfer course work will meet the requirements of the desired degree.

Transferable Lower-Division General Education–Common Core

For students enrolled at any public institution in New Mexico, the following courses are guaranteed to transfer to any other New Mexico public college or university and apply toward associate and baccalaureate degree program requirements. Students should consult advisors at their current institution regarding which specific courses fit these categories. Students preparing for careers in engineering, health sciences or other profession-related fields are advised that some of this course work may not transfer toward general education requirements but in most cases will apply toward elective requirements.

Area I: Communications 9 semester hours
  1. College-Level English Composition 3-4 hrs.
  2. College-Level Writing 3 hrs.
  3. Public Speaking 3 hrs.
  4. College Algebra (or higher) 3 hrs.
  5. Liberal Arts Mathematics 3 hrs.
  6. Statistics 3 hrs.
  7. Astronomy 4-8 hrs.
  8. Biology 4-8 hrs.
  9. Chemistry 4-8 hrs.
  10. Geology 4-8 hrs.
  11. Physics 4-8 hrs.
  12. Economics (Macro or Microeconomics) 3 hrs.
  13. Introductory Political Science 3 hrs.
  14. Introductory Psychology 3 hrs.
  15. Introductory Sociology 3 hrs.
  16. Introductory Anthropology 3 hrs.
  17. Introductory History Survey 3 hrs.
  18. Introductory Philosophy 3 hrs.
  19. Introductory Course in History, Theory or Aesthetics of the Arts or Literature 3 hrs.
Area II: Mathematics and Statistics 3 semester hours
Area III: Laboratory Science 8 semester hours
Area IV: Social/Behavioral Sciences 6-9 semester hours
Area V: Humanities and Fine Arts 6-9 semester hours

Totals to be selected 35 semester hours

Inter-Institutional Transfer Guides and Catalogs

Students who have selected a field of study and/or the institution where they wish to graduate are advised to consult the transfer guide or catalog for that institution for more current and detailed advice to guide their course selection. An online tool to determine institutional transfer equivalencies, along with a number of published transfer guides are available on the University of New Mexico Admissions Office web site at http://admissions.unm.edu/transfer/index.html.

Complaint Procedure for Transfer Students

All New Mexico public post-secondary institutions are required to establish policies and practices for receiving and resolving complaints from students or from other complainants regarding the transfer of course work from other public institutions in the state. A copy of The University of New Mexico’s complaint policy may be obtained from the Admissions Office or from the New Mexico Higher Education Department, 2048 Galisteo Drive, Santa Fe, NM 87505-2100,
(505) 476-8400 (www.hed.state.nm.us).

Evaluation of Credit

The evaluation of credit is ordinarily part of the admissions application procedure for students entering an associate program. It is a two-step process. An Admissions Officer first evaluates credits on a course-by-course basis to determine general transferability to the University, and a transfer evaluation is produced for students who are admitted. (Students who have completed courses in institutions utilizing non-traditional credit or grading systems may be required to provide additional information to facilitate the evaluation.) The student must contact an academic advisor in order to determine how the transferred courses will be applied to a degree.

Admissions - Readmitted Students

A UNM–Los Alamos degree-seeking student who stops attending for three or more sessions, including a summer, must file an application for readmission. You may also apply over the Web at http://losalamos.unm.edu.

Complete and return an application for readmission and a $10.00 non-refundable application fee to the Student Services Office.

If you attended another institution while away from UNM -Los Alamos or have taken college-level correspondence or extension courses, send an official transcript from each college you have attended directly to the Student Services Office. A summary on one transcript of work at several colleges is not sufficient. If you are applying for the next academic semester at UNM-Los Alamos while still enrolled at another institution, the official transcript must include a listing of courses in progress, as well as all completed work. Applications will not be processed until all the required items are on file with the Student Services Office.

Students who have been suspended or dismissed as the result of disciplinary problems shall not be readmitted to the University without a required interview with the Student Enrollment Director. The University reserves the right to refuse any student readmission on the basis of his or her student history, either academic or disciplinary.

Admissions - Dual Credit (high school)

The Dual Credit Program allows qualified public, charter, homeschool and tribal school students to enroll in college-level courses offered by a public postsecondary educational institution that may be academic or career technical but not remedial or developmental, and simultaneously earn credit toward high school graduation and a postsecondary degree or certificate. The program is designed to increase education opportunities, provide a college-level experience and encourage more high school students to pursue higher education.

Meeting the criteria listed below does not mean that the student will be automatically admitted to the Dual Credit Program. In all cases, the final admission determination will be made by the UNM–LA Registrar’s Office.

  1. The student must have the certification and unconditional recommendation of the high school as well as proof of parental consent prior to participation on the Dual Credit/Concurrent Enrollment Application Form.
  2. The student must furnish the Student Services Office with a current, official, high school transcript including their grade point average and STARS number.
  3. A student planning to enroll in English or Math must meet the minimum placement scores determined by UNM–Los Alamos in either the ACT, SAT or Compass tests.
  4. A student planning to enroll in any course that has a prerequisite requirement must meet the minimum prerequisite or test score.

Admissions - Concurrent Enrollment (high school)

UNM–Los Alamos offers a Concurrent Enrollment Program for high school students who only want college credit. The student must have proof of parental consent prior to participation on the Dual Credit/Concurrent Enrollment Application Form. The high school must furnish the Office of Admissions with a current official high school transcript.

Admissions - Non-degree

The Non-Degree credit program allows students to earn academic credit without being admitted into a degree-granting unit. This program accommodates non-traditional students who wish to begin taking academic courses to prepare for graduate studies, career changes or for professional and/or personal development. Non-Degree status is recommended for visiting students from other institutions.

Non-Degree Admission Requirements

You must be 21 years of age or older or, if you are under 21:

  1. Your high school graduating class must have been out of school for at least one full year;   or -
  2. If you earned your diploma by the GED or HiSET exam, your graduating class must have been out of high school at least one year.


Students in non-degree status are not eligible to receive financial aid. Contact the Financial Aid Office at (505) 662-0341 for details.

The following students are not eligible for Non-Degree status:

  1. A student who is under disciplinary or academic suspension from UNM–Los Alamos or any other collegiate institution.
  2. A student who has exhausted his or her eligibility in University College and is not academically eligible to enter a degree-granting college at the University of New Mexico.
  3. A student planning to receive student financial aid.


Applicants for Non-Degree status are required to certify that they are not under suspension from any college or university. Students found guilty of nondisclosure or misrepresentation in filling out the admission application form or who after admission or enrollment at UNM–Los Alamos are found to be ineligible for academic or other reasons to return to the last institution attended and fail to report this immediately to the Student Services Office, will be subject to disciplinary action, including possible dismissal from the University.

Facts about Non-Degree Status

  1. A $10.00 application fee is required.
  2. No transcripts of previous high school or college work are required for admission. NOTE: A transcript may be required to determine fulfillment of prerequisite course work.
  3. There is a 30 credit hour limit in Non-Degree status if you do not have a baccalaureate degree. There is no limit for students with a baccalaureate degree.
  4. Credits earned in Non-Degree status are recorded on a University of New Mexico permanent record. Credits may be applied to an undergraduate plan of study, if the courses meet specific degree requirements.
  5. If you are planning to take education courses, you must contact the College of Education at (505) 277-3190 concerning requirements.
  6. Non-Degree students applying for undergraduate degree status must follow admission procedures and provide all items required of transfer students (see Transferring Students).

Academic Standards

Students in Non-Degree are subject to all University regulations governing registration, attendance, academic standing and satisfactory completion of prerequisite courses. The Albuquerque campus Non-Degree Student Services Office governs academic standing and maintains college records for all Non-Degree students, including those at branch campuses and other UNM sites.

Admissions - International Students

The University of New Mexico welcomes applications from international students who have earned distinguished academic records and have demonstrated English proficiency.

International Non-Degree Admission

  1. International students wishing to enroll at UNM-Los Alamos in Non-Degree Status must submit an admission application which includes Visa Type and Country of Citizenship information.
  2. Students taking non-academic courses may not be required to provide copies of documentation or proof of English Proficiency with the admission application.
  3. Students interested in taking an academic course will be required to obtain instructor approval or provide proof of English proficiency.
  4. Please contact the UNM-Los Alamos Registrar at (505) 661-4688 for guidance and more information.

International Undergraduate (Degree-Seeking) Admission Requirements

The Global Education Office (GEO) at UNM-Albuquerque provides services to international students and scholars coming to UNM and wishing to be enrolled into a degree granting program.

The Office of International Admissions within the GEO handles admission of all degree-seeking international students to the University of New Mexico. To know more about the admission process and requirements for new international students, please contact the Office of International Admissions directly.  http://geo.unm.edu

Alternative Credit Programs

UNM–Los Alamos grants college credit for certain outside training, courses, and examinations. In all cases, students must be enrolled in undergraduate degree status. The guidelines for each of these programs are as follows:

Technical Credit

Under special circumstances, students may receive credit for technical courses that are not normally transferable to UNM–Los Alamos. Students who have earned technical credit which they believe may be applicable to their specific degree programs can request a review of that credit by the department chairperson or program director. An interview or demonstration of competence or both may be required before a decision regarding credit is made. Acceptance of technical credit is binding only to the specific department or program recommending the credit.

Training Credit

Credit for non-collegiate training programs is granted based on recommendations of the American Council of Education’s “National Guide to Educational Credit for Training Programs” and institutional policies. Official records must be supplied to the Student Services Office by the appropriate source.

Military Credit

Credit for military service is granted based on recommendations of the American Council of Education’s “Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Service” and institutional policies. No credit is granted for Military Occupational Specialty (MOS).

Core Curriculum

The University adopted a revised Core Curriculum as of Fall 2003 which all undergraduate students must complete as part of their baccalaureate program. The Core consists of several groups of courses designed to enhance each student’s academic capabilities. Its goal is to give all students at the University a grounding in the broad knowledge and intellectual values obtained in a liberal arts education and to assure that graduates have a shared academic experience. The required courses encourage intellectual development in seven areas of study: writing and communication, social and behavioral sciences, mathematical reasoning, scientific methods in the physical and natural sciences, the humanities, the fine arts, and languages. The Core consists of lower-division courses which develop these skills and abilities, and students are strongly encouraged to complete the Core early in their college careers. Individual student substitutions should be minimal and are discouraged. Except where noted (see “Alternative Credit Options” in the Undergraduate Admissions section of the Catalog), students may apply AP or CLEP credit to the Core requirements.

Departments and colleges may restrict student choices within the Core to meet departmental and college degree requirements. A grade of C (not C-) is required in all courses used to fulfill the requirements of the Core Curriculum. Courses taken CR/NC can be applied to the core, subject to general University and individual college and department regulations on the number of credits that can be taken CR/NC and the applicability of courses taken CR/NC to the individual degree.

The University recognizes, however, that the highly structured nature of many degree programs and the presence of numerous transfer and non-traditional students requires flexibility on its part. Transfer and re-entering students will receive advising in the college and department to which they are admitted in order to establish an appropriate program which will meet their needs and the aims of the Core. Where degree program requirements are so structured that a student’s total academic program credits would be increased by taking a Core course in a particular Core area, a department may approve a blanket substitution of a course in a particular Core area for all students pursuing an undergraduate degree in that particular program. Approval of substitutions or exceptions is handled on a department and college basis.

The basic Core Curriculum requires approximately 37 hours of courses in seven areas of study.

  1. Writing and Speaking (9 credit hours): English 110 or 112 or 113 and 120 plus an additional course chosen from English 219, 220; Communication and Journalism 130; Philosophy 156; University Honors 201. Students with ACT English scores of 29 and higher or SAT Critical Reading scores of 650 or higher have satisfied the University Writing Requirement and should enroll for courses of their choice in the Writing and Speaking Core. Students with ACT English scores of 26, 27, 28 or SAT Critical Reading scores of 610 or higher may enroll directly in English 120 and, upon passing, meet the University Writing Requirement. Students with ACT English scores of 25 or lower or SAT Critical Reading scores below 610 should enroll in English 110 or equivalent level based on placement. Students who have taken an Advanced Placement examination in English Language or Literature should refer to “Advanced Placement” for placement and credit information.
  2. Mathematics: One course chosen from Mathematics 121, 129, 150, 162, 163, 180, 181, 215; Statistics 145; University Honors 202.
  3. Physical and Natural Sciences: Two courses, one of which must include a laboratory, chosen from Anthropology 150 and 151L, 120 (lab required), 160 and 161L; Astronomy 101 and 101L; Biology 110 and 112L, 123 and 124L; Chemistry 101, 111 (lab required), 121 and 123L or 131L (lab required), 122L and 124L or 132L (lab required); Earth and Planetary Sciences 101 and 105L, 201L (lab required); Environmental Science 101 and 102L; Geography 101 and 105L; Natural Sciences 261L (lab required), 262L (lab required), 263L (lab required); Physics 102 and 102L, 105, 151 and 151L, 152 and 152L, 160 and 160L, 161 and 161L; University Honors 203.
  4. Social and Behavioral Sciences (minimum 6 credit hours): Two courses chosen from American Studies 182, 185; Anthropology 101, 130; Community and Regional Planning 181; Economics 105, 106; Engineering-F 200; Geography 102; Linguistics 101 (AOA Anthropology 110); Political Science 110, 200, 220, 240; Psychology 105; Sociology 101; University Honors 204.
  5. Humanities (6 credit hours): Two courses chosen from American Studies 186; Chicana and Chicano Studies 201; Classics 107, 204, 205; Comparative Literature and Cultural Studies 222, 224; English 150, 292, 293; Foreign Languages (MLNG) 101; Geography 140; History 101, 102, 161, 162, 181, 182; Honors Legacy Seminars at the 100- and 200-level; Philosophy 101, 201, 202; Religious Studies 107, 263, 264; University Honors 205.
  6. Foreign Language (non-English language; minimum 3 credit hours): One course chosen from any of the lower-division non-English language offerings of the Departments of Linguistics (including Sign Language), Spanish and Portuguese, Foreign Languages and Literatures, and foreign languages in other departments and programs
  7. Fine Arts (minimum of 3 credit hours): One course chosen from Architecture 121; Art History 101, 201, 202; Dance 105; Fine Arts 284; Media Arts 210; Music 139, 142; Theatre 105; University Honors 207. Students may elect to take one 3 credit hour studio course offered by the Departments of Art and Art History, Music, Theatre and Dance, and Media Arts to fulfill this requirement.

U.S. and Global Diversity and Inclusion Requirement

The University of New Mexico values learning outcomes related to diversity and inclusion. The stated aim of the U.S. and Global Diversity and Inclusion undergraduate degree requirement is to promote a broad-scale understanding of the culture, history or current circumstance of diverse categories of people who have experienced historic and/or contemporary inequitable treatment in the U.S. or in a global context. To satisfy the requirement students complete a three credit hour course from an approved list of courses that have their primary emphasis (at least 50% content) on one or more of the following areas: gender, race, class, ethnicity, sexual orientation, disability, religion, language, culture and/or other marginalized category of people. These courses include primary learning outcomes pertaining to the experiences of diverse categories of people and potential solutions to the challenges facing diverse communities. Courses may double count with any other requirements including Core courses (e.g., Area 6: Foreign Language) or other substantive courses in the Core.

For a list of approved courses fulfilling this requirement, please visit