UNM-LA Music Marathon
January 23, 2014
Fourth Annual UNM-LA Music Marathon Raises Money for Scholarships
The results are in and the Fourth Annual UNM-LA Music Marathon, held Sunday, January 19, raised nearly $900.00 to benefit the student scholarship fund at the community college.
Fifty-four performers from both in and out of town entertained an audience of over one hundred who attended the 7-hour event in the Student Center on the UNM-LA campus.
Juanita Madland and Rheta Moazzami organized the music marathon with the help of The Los Alamos Music Teachers Association who paid for piano tuning by James Beinke. Robin Gurule provided 8 gallons of green chile stew, and Drs. Tom Csanadi and Marvel Harrison brought chocolate mint brownies.
Those performing Sunday were:
- Robin Gurule, piano with Peter McLachlan, piccolo trumpet.
- Piano students Karin Ebey (NM composition representative), Sonja Ebey, Natalie Crawford, Megan Crawford, Lucas Yeager, William Dale and Joseph Dale.
- Claudia Hilko, piano duo with Juanita Madland.
- Claudia and Bob Hilko then danced a Mazurka (a Polish folk dance) to Juanita’s Madland’s accompaniment of a Chopin Mazurka.
- The Little Piano Group played a selection of other Chopin Mazurkas: Rheta Moazzami, Judy Hutson, Juanita Madland, Darien Raistrick, Robin Gurule, Claudia Hilko and Phyllis Slattery.
- Richard Hannemann sang and played a variety of songs on guitar.
- Darien Raistrick played Mozart and Chopin piano solos.
- Violinist Rachel Hixson and Violist Bill Houston performed a duet.
- Cathy Turner, pianist, performed a selection of more contemporary pieces on piano.
- Mezzo soprano Alicia Solomon with Juanita Madland, piano, previewed a Feb.5 Fuller Lodge Brown Bag performance. (Put it on your calendar).
- Viol player David Hanson played early music pieces.
- Strung Out Bluegrass group: Mike Bremer, Dave Dillman, Cindy Harris, Bob Harris, Matthew Hecht, Bob MacFarlane, Jackie MacFarlane, Jon Rubins.
- A talented high school chorale composed of Sapahn Kellogg, Lauren Hargraves, Jacqui Hargraves and Elsa Guinoiseau sang a lovely medley.
- Pianist Frances Meier played Bartok and Debussy and was joined in a duet by husband and guitarist, Mike Meier.
- Juanita Madland repeated part of a concert recently given in the midwest.
- The Craig Martin Experience jazz band: Craig Martin, tenor sax, Quinn Marksteiner, alto sax, Carl Hagelberg, trumpet, Mike Rogers, guitar, Aaron Anderson, keyboard, Rob Heineman, bass, John Frary, drums.
UNM-LA would like to thank the organizers, performers, attendees and those who made contributions to support the scholarship fund and higher education at UNM-LA.