Adult Learning Center (ALC)
The Adult Learning Center provides services in a campus-based learning center and is designed to improve the educational level of adults, out-of-school youth and non-English speaking persons sixteen (16) years of age and older. Eligible students are individuals seeking to prepare for life, work, or post-secondary education with skill levels below the college level and who have the ability to benefit from the instruction.
The UNM-Los Alamos Adult Learning Center provides free classes, instructional materials, tutoring and computer practice lab for English as a Second Language (ESL), GED® and Adult Basic Education (ABE) students. Services include instruction in ABE basic skills: reading, writing, and computation; GED® preparation in reading, science, social studies, writing and math; all levels of ESL instruction and citizenship; and Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) preparation.
You may download and print the enrollment form for our classes from the link below. Just fill it out and bring it in with you when you visit our offices during registration the week before classes start. New ESL and GED® students are asked to take a placement test or pre-test when they come in to enroll for classes. GED® students attending classes at the Los Alamos site are required to attend one orientation session where they will take the pre-test. See class schedules below for GED® orientation sessions and ESL registration/testing days.
- Free non-credit education courses for students age 16 and older
- Morning and evening classes one to three times a week
- Home schooled students are welcome
- Students can take advantage of our HSE pre-testing, small group and individual instruction, tutor assistance (subject to volunteer tutor availability), computer practice, and independent study.
- Students are eligible for UNM's Bridge to Success Scholarship and New Mexico Lottery Scholarships after passing the official GED® test.
English as a Second Language (ESL)
Free English Classes!
- Classes help students improve English conversation, writing, reading, listening and pronunciation skills.
- Students also have the option of working with volunteer tutors (subject to availability) to strengthen their conversational skills.
- Free use of textbooks and instructional materials. Computer lab practice programs available.
- TOEFL preparation. This class helps students prepare for the Test Of English as a Foreign Language for non-native English speakers.
Monday - Thursday: 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Closed Friday and holidays
Contact Information4000 University Dr.
Los Alamos, New Mexico 87544
Phone: (505) 662–0338
Toll-Free: (505) 894–5919 ext. 338Michelle Worley
UNM-Los Alamos Adult Learning Center in Bernalillo and Rio Rancho
The ALC also offers GED® and ESL classes in Bernalillo and Rio Rancho. For more information, please call or email. 505-662-0338 or firstname.lastname@example.org