Adult Learning Center (ALC)
The Adult Learning Center (ALC) provides services in a campus-based learning center and is designed to improve the educational level of adults, out-of-school youth and non-English speaking persons sixteen (16) years of age and older. Eligible students are individuals seeking to prepare for life, work, or post-secondary education with skill levels below the college level and who have the ability to benefit from the instruction.
The UNM-Los Alamos Adult Learning Center provides free classes, instructional materials, tutoring and computer practice lab for English as a Second Language (ESL), High School Equivalency (HSE) and Adult Basic Education (ABE) students. Services include instruction in ABE basic skills: reading, writing, and computation; HSE preparation in reading, science, social studies, writing and math, and all levels of ESL instruction and citizenship.
You may download and print the enrollment form for our classes from the link below. Just fill it out and bring it in with you when you visit our offices during registration the week before classes start. New ESL and HSE students are asked to take a placement test or pre-test when they come in to enroll for classes. HSE students attending classes at the Los Alamos site are required to attend one orientation session where they will take the pre-test. See class schedules below for HSE orientation sessions and ESL registration/testing days.
High School Equivalency (HSE) Classes
- Free non-credit education courses for students age 16 and older (students between the ages of 16–17 must have a completed Underage Permission Form to be admitted)
- Summer classes begin on May 11, and meet Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday, 4:00–6:00 p.m. through June 23.
- Home schooled students are welcome
- Students can take advantage of our HSE pre-testing, small group and individual instruction, tutor assistance (subject to volunteer tutor availability), computer practice, and independent study.
- Students are eligible for UNM's Bridge to Success Scholarship and New Mexico Lottery Scholarships after a New Mexico High School Equivalency Credential.
- This class prepares students for either the HiSet or GED®. An explanation of how the two tests compare can be found here.
English as a Second Language (ESL)
Free English Classes!
- Classes help students improve English conversation, writing, reading, listening and pronunciation skills.
- Students also have the option of working with volunteer tutors (subject to availability) to strengthen their conversational skills.
- Free use of textbooks and instructional materials. Computer lab practice programs available.
- Summer classes meet from May 11 - June 23 on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday from 9 a.m. - 10:30 a.m.
Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Closed on holidays
Contact Information4000 University Dr.
Los Alamos, New Mexico 87544
Phone: (505) 662–0338
Toll-Free: (505) 894–5919 ext. 338
Gabriel C. Baca
Adult Basic Education
UNM-Los Alamos Satellite SIte Classes
The ALC also offers HSE (GED®) and ESL classes in Bernalillo and HSE (GED®) classes in San Ildefonso, Jemez Springs (Pueblo of Jemez), and the Zia Pueblo. For more information, please call or email. 505-662-0338 or email@example.com