- UNM-Los Alamos students, faculty, and staff as well as community members residing in New Mexico who are at least 18 years of age may borrow materials from the library.
- UNM-LA students, faculty and staff must present a UNM Lobo photo i.d. card to checkout library materials.
- Community borrowers must fill out a patron card and present a New Mexico photo i.d.
- Patron cards for community borrowers are held by the Library.
- Books: 1 month
- Computer mouse: 4 hours/in-house use only
- Sound recordings: 4 hours/in-house use only
- Current issues of magazines: Non-circulating
- Back issues of magazines: 1 week
- Videos: 1 week
- Newspapers: Non-circulating
- Reference materials: Non-circulating
- Special collection materials: 2 weeks or Non-circulating
- Most circulating materials may be renewed in person, by telephone or by e-mail unless they are recalled by another patron.
- Renewal requests should be accompanied by the name and telephone number of the borrower along with the exact titles and/or call numbers.
- Items may be renewed up to three times. After the third renewal, patrons must bring items into the library for additional renewals.
Most UNM-Los Alamos Library materials may be returned to either the Circulation Desk or the book drop located in the breezeway on the west side of Building 1.
The following must be returned ONLY to the Circulation Desk in the Library:
- Interlibrary loan materials
- Materials checked out from UNM General Library in Albuquerque to be returned to the Albuquerque campus. A form must be completed and signed at the time such materials are returned through the UNM-LA Library.
(Note: Patrons who have checked out materials in person from another UNM library are ultimately responsible for their return to main campus. Main campus materials returned through UNM-LA are not considered "checked in" until they have been checked in at main campus. The UNM-LA Library is not responsible for such materials once they have left the UNM-LA campus).
- Loan periods include Library Use Only, 2-day checkout, and 1 week checkout.
- Materials will be available for checkout 24 hours after the instructor has placed items on reserve.
- Fines of $2.00 per item per day are assessed on overdue reserve materials.