UNM Los Alamos

Non-Degree Students

Non-Degree Students

The Non-Degree credit program allows students to earn academic credit without being admitted into a degree-granting unit. This program accommodates non-traditional students who wish to begin taking academic courses to prepare for graduate studies, career changes or for professional and/or personal development. Non-Degree status is recommended for visiting students from other institutions.

How to Apply

Download the Application

Complete and return a non-degree admission application to:

Student Services
UNM Los Alamos, Building 1
4000 University Drive
Los Alamos, NM 87544
Contact Student Services for any questions at unmlainfo@unm.edu or 505-662-5919.

When to Apply

Students are encouraged to submit their applications as early as possible. If you do not register for the session requested on your application and wish to postpone enrollment to a subsequent semester, you must notify the Student Services Office. Applications are applicable for three consecutive sessions only. If you do not take advantage of admission by enrolling within that period, a new application is required.

Admission Requirements

You must be 21 years of age or older or, if you are under 21:

  1. Your high school graduating class must have been out of school for at least one full year; or-
  2. If you earned your diploma by the GED or HSE exam, your graduating class must have been out of high school at least one year.


  1. Students in non-degree status are not eligible to receive financial aid. Contact the Financial Aid Office at 505-662-0341 for details.
  2. Veterans planning to attend the University under one of the public laws governing veterans’ educational benefits and who are seeking admission to non-degree status are required to have special approval from the Financial Aid Office 505-662-0341.

The following students are not eligible for non-degree status:

  1. A student who is under disciplinary or academic suspension from UNM Los Alamos or any other collegiate institution.
  2. A student who has exhausted his or her eligibility in University College and is not academically eligible to enter a degree-granting college at The University of New Mexico.
  3. A student planning to receive student financial aid.

Applicants for Non-Degree status are required to certify that they are not under suspension from any college or university.

Students found guilty of nondisclosure or misrepresentation in filling out the admission application form or who after admission or enrollment at UNM Los Alamos are found to be ineligible for academic or other reasons to return to the last institution attended and fail to report this immediately to the Student Services Office, will be subject to disciplinary action, including possible dismissal from the University.

Facts about Non-Degree Status

  1. No transcripts of previous high school or college work are required for admission. NOTE: A transcript may be required to determine fulfillment of prerequisite course work.
  2. There is a 30 credit hour limit in non-degree status if you do not have a baccalaureate degree. There is no limit for students with a baccalaureate degree.
  3. Credits earned in non-degree status are recorded on a University of New Mexico permanent record. Credits may be applied to an undergraduate plan of study, if the courses meet specific degree requirements.
  4. If you are planning to take education courses, you must contact the College of Education at 277-2231 concerning requirements.
  5. Non-degree students applying for undergraduate degree status must follow admission procedures and provide all items required of transfer students (see Transferring Students).

Academic Standards

Non-degree students are subject to all University regulations governing registration, attendance, academic standing and satisfactory completion of prerequisite courses. The Albuquerque campus Non-Degree Student Services Office governs academic standing and maintains college records for all Non-Degree students, including those at branch campuses.