UNM Los Alamos

Dual Credit

Dual Credit

Dual Credit courses provide qualified public and charter school students the opportunity to enroll in college-level courses through UNM-Los Alamos and earn both high school and college credit. Dual Credit students are not required to pay tuition, but they will be responsible for any course fees.

The program is designed to:

  • Increase educational opportunities available to public or charter high school students.
  • Provide high school students with a college level experience.
  • Encourage more high school students to pursue higher education.

Dual Credit Application

Dual Credit Courses on the UNM-LA campus

All courses offered at UNM-Los Alamos (except Physical Education (PENP) and Developmental (ISE, ISM)) are eligible for dual credit. Please see our current semester Class Schedule for a complete list of courses being offered this semester.

Follow these 8 easy steps:

  1. Prior to the start of a college semester, visit the high school counselor to look at the current UNM-LA semester schedule. Determine UNM-LA courses that would fit the student's schedule and discuss your for dual credit.
  2. At the start of the semester, get a copy of the dual credit application from the UNM-Los Alamos web site, the high school counselor, or at UNM-LA advisor, Building 1.
  3. Complete the application. Notice that signatures are required from parents and the high school counselor.
  4. Submit high school transcript with the application.
  5. Return the completed application to the Registrar’s office in Building 1 at UNM-LA at least one week prior to the start of the class.
  6. Costs: Tuition is waived for up to two courses per semester. Book costs are covered by your high school. Students are responsible for all course-specific fees (ex. computer fees, art supplies, lab supplies, etc.)
  7. Books: The textbook for a dual credit course may be retrieved from the high school book depository at the start of the semester and must be returned to the high school book depository at the end of the semester. 
  8. Students will be awarded UNM college credit at the end of the semester in which they took the course.

How to drop a dual credit course

Dual credit is intended to award credit for both high school and college credit. If a student drops, or fails a dual credit course, the student may have to make up the high school credit requirement. The high school transcript will reflect the actual grade or will display a withdraw notation if dropped after the last day to drop without a grade.

To drop a course, visit Student Services at UNM-Los Alamos to get a drop card. Fill it out completely and obtain the counselor’s signature on the card. Return the completed card to Student Services at UNM-Los Alamos for final processing of the drop.